Popular Posts

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Barapani Diary...Life in the Airport...III


There is something good about working in a small, very small  airport..it feels like your own!! All the staff.. all the units..so alien to each other in bigger airports..where we Air Traffic Controllers are totally engrossed in ourselves..here just seem like one big family. One flight is the life of the airport..all the units would be waiting for the arrival of the flight and breathe relief once the flight is gone. There's a bond binding all of us..make us see where we all exactly stand..whereas in bigger airports somehow it's always me and us..my job my task.. not my responsibility...all units are fighting their hearts out in the blame game..anyways that might be essential considering the tough lives we lead.. Let me come again to my small airport..this small airport gave me a sense of ' importance', a sense of belonging, this is very obvious but then there's hardly any mere mortal who doesnt get complacent with a little bit of recognition , little bit of self importance and if it doesnt get to the head it works on fine.. it gives a 'my' feeling..dont know exactly when the building the passengers the flight the staff became so ' mine'..flight's safe, timely departure arrival became so much my concern not because it's my 'duty' to read ' Cleared for take off' and ' Cleared to land'..simply because you become involved , concerned and learn to think of the airport as a life which needs to be watered and nourished so that it can breathe, survive and beam with life.

Such a lovely building.. all it needs flights passengers, taxiwallahs, food stalls..bursting with activities cutting across the mesmerizing silence of the hills..pouring life into the adjacent villages..dont know which future is better..this calm tranquil building in the middle of nowhere or an aiport, a full working airport dragging in the villages within its powerful clutches..transforming the area into a fledgling township.. I don't know..and to be on safe side the future does not depend on me! Well that is too safe.. future follows its own course, may be with great foresight and vision from certain stalwarts who are able to give a direction to the future.. for the rest of us .. just wait, watch... may be brood sometimes.. ah the greens and the hills.. all gone..or may be nod pessimistically..no future of this place, of this airport..surviving only in bureaucratic papers...I don't know what is better..can just wonder and marvel at the greens and hills, peek into the local life , and feel sorry for my airport...

No comments:

Post a Comment